Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Annotated Bibliography 10


MLA:
"Berlusconi: An Interview with Italy's Resigning Leader - TIME." Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Jan. 2012. <http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2099017,00.html.>

This article describes Berlusconi’s feelings towards resignation and the reasons behind his resignation. Berlusconi stated, “"As soon as the stability pact is approved in Parliament, I will resign. And seeing as there are no other potential governing coalitions, the only possibility I see are elections in early February — elections in which I will no longer be the candidate." Berlusconi wanted to pass the austerity measures as quick as possible so that he could resign, knowing that the austerity measures and a direct response to the market was the only way to save Italy’s economy. However, Berlusconi’s feelings are very strong about his resignation, feeling completely betrayed by the people whom he trusted most, including Roberto Antonione, who even made Berlusconi his daughter’s godfather. After resigning, Berlusconi said that he would be "founding father of my party ... and maybe return to being president of the AC Milan.”  Berlusconi also said, "I am tired of not being able to impose my will and not being able to push the policy that I would like. I am more powerful as a free citizen than as Prime Minister. “ Berlusconi also defends himself on the subject of dictatorship by saying, “"Of course, I am not a dictator, even if you [in the press] have written that I am for years. What I mean is that the founding fathers of Italy, precisely out of fear that history would repeat itself, went too far in weakening the executive role. I ask you: Can you be the head of the government if you can't make the Minister of the Economy carry out the economic policy that you believe in?" However, in the end, Berlusconi is pleased at his accomplishments and he is the longer-serving prime minister in postwar history. This article is a bit biased, supporting Berlusconi, but at the same time it is a direct interview with Berlusconi and incorporates many quotes, making it an extremely reliable source.

No comments:

Post a Comment